|Home Animals of the World Animal Photos The Animal Kingdom Animal Activities About Us Shop Contact Us||ChondrichthyesCharacteristics of Cartilaginous Fishes|
- Skeleton is made mostly of cartilage instead of bone.
- Have five to seven gills which are used "breathe" underwater.
- Covered with scales called placoid scales. Placoid means tooth-like. The scales make the skin feel rough and like sandpaper.
- Can lay eggs or give live birth depending on the species.
- Have dorsal, pectoral, caudal and pelvic fins.
Examples of chondrichthyes include sharks, rays and sawfishes.
|© Ian Scott|